Re: andreas *grumpy*

From: Tim Ellis <tim_at_...> <tim_at_...>
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2002 20:07:37 -0000

Before I start, I have seen no more of the HQ rules than have been discussed in public, so all my comments are based on what's been said here - my hopes and assumptions, if you like rather than hard facts...

>Well, I have lived through some pretty irritating changes

All change is irritating when you have become accustomed to the "old way" of doing things - it can also bring great opportunities and improvements. I think the aim behind the HQ changes is to maximise those opportunities and improvements.

>and might be
> a little sensitive. I might have reacted a little bit strongly, but
> Glorantha isn't that accessible for those outside the ghetto and I
> sometimes wonder if Issaries is getting that message.

Since one of the complaints about HW was it's poor organisation and the way that it didn't always seem to be describing the same Glorantha that had been seen in RQ, I would have said that tidying up the rules and re-introducing the "common" magic might be seen as a way of attempting to address some of those concerns. If people find the new presentation of the rules easier to understand then that will be one oipportunity to get the game "out of the Ghetto" as it becomes more accessible. - Although I think the only way you will get a "mass-acceptance" for Glorantha is either a successful TV/Film (to get the non-gamers) or a *good* d20 conversion (to get the core of the gamer market). Neither of those are risk-free though, so I'd sooner have quality material in the ghetto than die trying to get out...

>Sure, 1st ed HeroWars was a mess so maybe it needs cleaning up. To
>bad I have to re-learn stuff again. That's the reason D&D is so big
>in the hobby...

There are pretty big changes between AD&D and D&D 3e, but the streamlining of the rules didn't seem to hurt them! My understanding is the basic rules engine is not changing - so HW->HQ is much less of a change than, for instance Paranoia 1st to Paranoia 2nd, or L5R 1st to L5R 2nd - more like the changes between the Cthulhu or Pendragon Editions.