Re: Re: Grumpiness

From: ghoyle1_at_...
Date: Wed, 1 Jan 2003 04:53:43 -0600 (CST)

>>Sure, 1st ed HeroWars was a mess so maybe it needs cleaning up. To bad

>>I have to re-learn stuff again. That's the reason D&D is so big in the

>>hobby...

> Eh? D&D has been through far more rules changes and expansions than

> HW/Q has. The change from HW to HQ, for instance, is far less than the

> change from 2nd to 3rd edition D&D, or even from (say) D&D3 to D20

> Star Wars.

This verges on being slightly off-topic, but IMONSHO D&D is so big because it caters to an adolescent power-fantasy style of gaming. HeroQuest/Hero wars indulges a more mature, esoteric style of gaming, for the most part. If you prefer lobbing fireballs and carting home improbable amounts of loot, which the majority of gamers seem to do, you play D&D (or a game which supports that style of play). For me, it's the experience of Glorantha that brings me to Hero[Wars][Quest], and RuneQuest before that.

Guy