RE: Re: Blackhorse numbers - clarification

From: bernuetz.oliver_at_...
Date: Thu, 2 Jan 2003 15:54:14 -0500

M ikko said

>It's true that souls are the traditional fodder for demons. These seem
>very physical (impregnating / being born from mortal mares) so I think
>they need meat too, but feeding them the occasional soul may also be
>necessary.

Oh I think they need meat too its just that their metabolisms don't have to be all normal. Either they don't eat all the time or perhaps they normally eat grass/normal fodder and just occassionally need to eat meat to keep their demonic edge. Makes being a stable boy all the more exciting. "Damn it my mount needs meat. What do you mean all the slaves are gone?" At this point the stable boys are hiding/running for it. Unfortunately running just makes them more appetizing.

>impregnating / being born from mortal mares

All part of the pain the demons demand. It actually takes lots of mares to get just one baby mount. A combination of the mares dying in the act of mating/or being prematurely devoured from the inside by the dear little baby. It may be as bad a ratio as 1 in a 100 matings to successful birthings. Just another reason for the neighbours to hate them.

>Damn, this is just the sort of detail I with Glorantha authors would
>bother to put in. This sort of thing tend's to make a big difference in
>the game afterall.

>I think we'd need a nice big book on "Demonology and Glorantha" anyway.
>Now that heroquesting and high level magic is becoming the norm for
>games, there's a lot of call for the product.

Remember the painful truth about Glorantha: The reward for wishing too hard is to be asked to write the book:-)

Oliver