Re: Re: Blackhorse numbers

From: Darran <darransims_at_...>
Date: Thu, 2 Jan 2003 21:11:27 -0000

Greetings and Salutations
2003-01-02-2111.

Andrew Barton wrote:
> Ian Cooper questioned the conventional view of the importance of stirrups.
>
> > Don't forget that a lot of experimental archeaology suggests that the
> > shape of the four-horned Roman saddle made for an effective fighting
> > platform without stirrups.
>
> I have some other evidence against it. Some time ago I discussed this with
> a wargamer who also happened to be a member of the (British) Household
> Cavalry. They have woolly horse blankets on their horses, and wear leather
> boots with the inside of the legs specially roughened. This gives them, he
> said, all the grip they want even when they have wrestling matches on
> horseback. Although they have stirrups they only bother putting their feet
> in them when under they eyes of their NCOs.
>
> Many depictions of ancient cavalry show them with fleeces over the backs of
> their horses, which suggest to me that this technique was widely used.

IMO stirrups seem like an invention to control or dominate horses so that sounds very western to me. Animals are created by god to be used by man in the Malkioni cultural view point. They would have invented stirrups to harness the full potential from the horse as a form of transportation and as a battle tool.

Mikko Rintasaari wrote:
> Sort of, yes. But I'd think stirrups would come from Pent, if they have
> been invented already.

I would imagine that Pentian horsemen and the the Grazers too would learn to ride a horse as kids before even learning to walk properly. I also think that they would have been weaned on mare's milk and would have greater respect for horses as a whole. They do value horses almost above their own kin. They would ride as if hugging the animal and would work in a cooperative manner instinctively so there would be no need for stirrups or other dominating devices. They work in partnership with their mounts and are not using them as a means to an end. This would be the same for all the other animal nomads in Prax as well.

Cheers,
DARRAN SIMS.

darransims_at_...
darren.sims_at_...

"For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack"