Re: Blackhorse numbers

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2003 17:07:48 -0800

Ian

> As for stirrups in Glorantha: If the Pentans have them, which seems
> plausible, the Empire might well have adopted them during Sheng
> Seleris's occupation.

While Fortunate Succession p.93 is unclear as to exactly when stirrups were introduced (probably post-Dawn), it is clear that they exist in Glorantha.

(The big technology that doesn't exist in Glorantha is the stern rudder. No ship has anything better than a steering oar.)

Peter's reference to "Dunbadal stood in his stirrups" may be an indication that stirrups come from the West, but it could be an anachronism. (Is there another reference to the Western origin?) In any case, I suspect stirrups are widespread, and if anyone doesn't use them, it's for mythic reasons (perhaps the Galanini of Ralios don't).

In fact, the Black Horse Troop might not use them because they don't ride horses, and the steeds might object.

Jeff

> I really think the Riders are more superfluious than a player
> character might to admit.

Indeed, I played in a Robin Laws game where you played the mount. The Rider was just a replaceable Follower.

--

David Dunham
Glorantha/HW/RQ page: <http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html>