Re: Ahoy! Tales #20 in sight!

From: John Hughes <nysalor_at_...>
Date: Sun, 5 Jan 2003 14:19:18 +1100

The very last Tales. TOTRM #20. This is both wonderful and sad news.

I think it fair to say that Glorantha would not be anywhere near as vibrant and popular as it is today without David Hall and the Tales crew. Tales kept the light burning through the darkness, introduced our beloved Lozenge to an entirely new audience, and encouraged many writers (myself included) to write for Glorantha. Every issue combined loving detail, wacky humour and a gameplay ethos that got straight to the heart of things.

TOTRM pioneered fan publishing for Glorantha, setting high standards that continue to serve us very, very well.
It gave us our first detailed examinations of the Empire, The West, Pamaltela, The Isles and many other places. It took us back into Prax. It unleashed some appalling puns. And Hayward the pickled onion. It was the birthplace for Sun County and other official Gloranthan publications. Later the Megacorp expanded to produce a vast range of high quality Glorantha publications. And was the common vehicle for many enduring friendships.

I was introduced to Tales by Michael O'Brien, who I first met flogging photocopies of Tales #1 at Arcarnacon in Melbourne in 198(7)? (I never did find out if Tales #1 was actually photocopied, or if MOB was just doing his bit for the Megacorp). MOB and I guest-edited Tales #4 and #12, which were produced Down Under. MOB of course continued his editorial involvement right through.

And now David is off to Oz. GeeBee's loss, our gain. Good luck with the move Dave, you know where I live. :)

I'm very much looking forward to Tales #20. And perhaps, a little further down the track, the Tales CD :).

Empires never fall, they just transmute into new forms.

Cheers

John

nysalor_at_... John Hughes
Questlines: http://home.iprimus.com.au/pipnjim/questlines/

I do not like a tall commander, strutting about, primping in curls or with only half a beard. Give me a short leader you can clearly see bandy-legged, solid on his feet and full of courage.