Re: Long-Pork in Glorantha

From: Peter Tracy <bachelornewtling_at_...>
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2003 01:14:50 +1100

> From: David Cake <dave_at_...>
>Subject: Re: Long-Pork in Glorantha
>
>At 5:14 PM -0800 5/1/03, Andrew Solovay scribbled:
>>Agent Groove <mailto:coridan_at_...> wrote:
>
>>> And I don't thing Greg ever said cannibalism is 'ok'. Remember, the
>>> expressions of cannibalism in Glorantha, Cacodemon and his Ogres, are
>>> Chaotic through and through.
>>
>>But there's one major anti-chaotic species of cannibals--the Uz. Mind
>>you, they only eat their dead after they die for some other reason, but
>>they *do* eat their dead (or anyone else's)--always have.
>
>There is also the Cannibal Cult. Not chaotic, though really
>not pleasant.

The Cannibal cult are a noble tribe that has only resorted to Cannibalism to gain power to defeat their foes. It was an unfortunate curse they later collected that forced them into attracting more powerful and numerous enemies. They do not consume their own. They cannibalise to survive. It's their culture.

Of course their enemies dont see it that way. ;-P

IMHO ogres are chaotic because they (mythically) represent the erosion of a culture from within. Orges are the most insidous form of Chaos.. often born of or attracted to kinstrfe or secret murder and similar crimes. Ogres would gladly consume their neighbours (I hope they start with Harold and Lou ;-), friends (bye bye Chandler) and (I pray) S-Club 7. They exist by corrupting a culture, by subverting its values and gobbling its soft parts. They cannibalise for wicked pleasure.

They AND their enemies see it that way.

Just my AU$0.06 worth. (Crappy rate vs the Pound!)

Pete