Re: OT (for a change) Re: Blackhorse numbers - clarification

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2003 09:23:55 -0800

> >> we played Black Horses as PCs, and the riders were followers. I
> >> recall the horses going through riders at rather a quick rate.
>
> >I got to play in this as well (though not with Robin running it).
> >Very strange adventure. It really did prove the use of followers in
> >HW (the riders).
> >
> >It may not have been canonical but it was fun as all heck.
>
> It is closer to canon that calculating the number of peasants that the
> horses would eat.

It's pretty much canonical - the description of the Rider occupation (HW 97-98) states unequivically: "Each rider is assigned to one of the steeds, ands is considered equipment of the steed, not the other way around."

Only once a rider has reached Knight level can he attempt to learn the Control Steed secret - and probably half or more fail, becoming even more a meat puppet for the steed while on its back.

So only a few of humans in the BHT are really "in control" during battle. The rest are merely support troops to keep the infantry off the tanks - err, hmm, ah, anyway.... In most confrontations, the narrator should remember that the Steed is probably in control, and the human is merely a "front" for it. In-game, probably no-one outside BHCounty knows about this, and assumes that the human speaks for the troop.

RR