Question on Devotees (was Question on Affinities in hw-rules)

From: Charles Corrigan <charles_at_...> <charles_at_...>
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2003 12:05:17 -0000

> I think that devotees are
> extraordinary. The fact that most
> players seem to prefer it is
> because they are playing
> extraordinary characters. And
> because the players are removed
> from the day-to-day, and also,
> because players tend to minimax.
> Most people have lives and other
> things to do. Say, having a social
> life?
> Getting married and having a happy
> family life? Having a hobby or
> other form of entertainment?

Moved from hw-rules to herowars as I think this is more appropriate here...

Are there any rough guides to the distribution of communal worshippers, initiates and devotees in various Gloranthan theistic societies? Guides to numbers of disciples and heroes would be marvellous too but I expect that that would be asking a bit much :-)

I remember that, for example, in Dara Happan society, initiates and above are quite rare as almost everyone is a communal worshipper, while in Heortling (does this include all Orlanthi?) societies almost everyone initiates.

Even within a society, I see this varying by cult. My guess is that among Heortlings there are proportionally more devotees among the speciality cults than among Ernalda and Orlanth (my memory is that Storm Tribe specifically noted in that even apprentice merchants could devote to Issaries as the religion and occupation were so compatible).

regards,
Charles