Re: Blackhorse Numbers

From: Trotsky <TTrotsky_at_...>
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2003 17:33:30 +0000

>--- "ttrotsky2 <TTrotsky_at_...>"
>

>>> A 'demon' is simply an Otherworld
>>> being native to Hell,
>>> such as jukhars (AR p.239), ghouls or Umbarong* (NB
>>> p.18), many of
>>> which are far from being chaotic. This why Chaos
>>> Creatures and Demons
>>> are in separate chapters of Anaxial's Roster - while
>>> some demons
>>> surely are chaotic, most are not.
>>

>In Anaxial's view, this definition of demons is
>correct: "beings from hell"="beings from the
>Underworld". Wasn't Anaxial a Dara Happan?

Yes, but the term is being used here in the Hero Wars / HeroQuest game mechanic sense: a being native to Hell. I don't suppose the Heortlings necessarily use the word 'daimon' to describe beings from the God plane, but the term is still used in HW/HQ, which is not culturally specific. The description of the BHT steeds as 'demonic', is, from context, clearly intended in the 'native to Hell' sense, regardless of what the Heortlings might use the analogous word to describe.

>Also, since most people doesn't know much about an
>otherworld entity origin, a heortling meeting an
>essence would probably call it a "demon".

Yes, he probably would. It doesn't make the BHT steeds chaotic, though. As I said, it doesn't prove they aren't, either, although other evidence would seem to suggest this.

--
Trotsky
Gamer and Skeptic