Scenario idea

From: Thom Baguley <t.s.baguley_at_...>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 16:26:01 +0100

I have a scenario idea that I'm trying to flesh out. My main problem is that the story requires certain Orlanthi NPCs to behave in an impious fashion to work. I don't have a major problem with this except that I'd like to check that the situation is not too far fetched.

The situation:

In a previous session a PC god-talker of Vinga agreed to initiate a runaway girl from another clan in the tribe. The girl had been called to Vinga. Her father and brothers weren't keen on this (being from a somewhat chauvinistic, conservative bloodline of a chauvinistic, conservative clan). The season holy day of Vinga now approaches (Clayday of Movement week).

The Idea:

The girls' family persuade their clan to raid the PC clan.

During the raid a group of particularly impious Orlanthi led by the girl's family attempt to _prevent_ the initiation.

They end up disrupting the initiation ceremony at a critical point (unintentionally) and the girl is trapped on the Hero Plane. Her only hope of return is a hero quest (I've already written one - in fact, this is where the idea started).

My questions:

How plausible is it that an Orlanthi clan could be persuaded to raid on a major holy day (even if it one for a deity not seriously worshipped by that clan)?

Would the family hiring a band of Gagarthi be a more plausible work-around?

Is it plausible that a disrupted initiation could result in a girl being stranded in the Otherworld?

If so, what kind of disruption would be needed? Physical scattering of the congregation, regalia and so on, what else ... ?

What punishments would a tribe inflict on a clan that took part in such an impious act? How might the impious family be punished? (Outlawry seems the obvious one for individuals and bloodlines).

If some idea of the answers, but would like some other opinions before fleshing it out and running it.

Thom