Re: Re: Why go to Gloranthacon ?

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 10:28:42 -0800

> Thanks for the reply, Darran-- impressive number of cons...but you
> haven't answered the original question. Why go to them? And why so
> many? Do you ever get "conned-out"?? Or is it an addiction? What
> gives you such a high from them?

For me, there are several reasons to go to a con:

Meet and re-meet friends. You get to catch up with people you haven't seen for a year (Germany) or two years (England) or many years (America).

Travel to an exotic locale. Hey, *you* might think it's exotic if you live there (I'm about an hour from Yosemite. Ho hum.), but for someone flying in, even Chicago in mid-winter is at least different from what they left.

A sense of missing out if you *don't* go. You read all the congratulatory emails the weeks after the con and say "damn, but they must have had a good time". You miss out on the in-jokes and have to have them explained to you. You get fragmented reports of what is going on with the line - What? Harrek is now only Kill Everything 10w2?!? There is a sense of loss that you weren't part of the "experience".

Personally, it gets me out of the valley and into civilized company. It lets me get re-acclimated to human contact that is not my immediate family. No joke - I may not see another person for a week or more at a time.

And, of course, the sex & drugs & rock and roll lifestyle of a game designer.

Roderick