Re: Re: Why go to Gloranthacon ?

From: Darran <darransims_at_...>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 20:24:13 -0000

Greetings and Salutations
2003-01-23-2020.

Nick_at_... wrote:
> Melanie asks:
>
> > Thanks for the reply, Darran-- impressive number of cons...but you
> > haven't answered the original question. Why go to them?
>
> Isn't it obvious? To meet Darran, of course!
>
> :-)

Now that would be a very sad and disappointing reason as I am not so cool in real life :D

Joking aside though it is a good chance to meet other people with similar interests yet having different viewpoints or ideas. Often you can see new ways of playing styles and some fantastic ideas. It also allows you to see how some rules and resolutions work. Actually seeing the people you have been posting to, putting faces and voices to those names is marvellous and just being able to talk to people [usually in the bar] about role-playing and NOT having their eyes glaze over is refreshing. In fact you can talk about the most esoteric subjects [especially about Glorantha] all weekend. Role-playing is meant to be a social activity yet you can get into a bit of a rut playing with the same group week in week out: getting to a con allows you to meet different people, play new games and clear your head of any cobwebs role-playing wise anyway. And you get what you put in to the con. You can surf along, 'lurking' and just watching what happens and noone minds. Or you can throw yourself into the fray with abandon, getting involved in lots of games and seminars. It is also nice just to go from one game to another and not having to worry about RL interfering. And do not forget the tradestands for the chance to buy the latest [and oldest] publications. The icing on the cake is the new friends and contacts you make.

See the thread I started on RPG.net at:
http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=27840&highlight=conventions

Links for the cons:
0 Gencon Europe 18th-21st April 2003 London Olympia, UK. - http://www.genconuk.com/

0 Tentacles 6th-9th June 2003 Castle Stahleck, Germany. - http://www.tentacles-convention.de/

0 Conjuration 1st-3rd August 2003 New Hall, Cambridge, UK. - http://www.wayland.demon.co.uk/Conjuration/index.htm

0 Battlemasters 29th-31st August 2003 Digby Hall, Leicester, UK. - http://www.eurolog.org/

0 Scottscon 5th-7th September 2003 Heriot Watt University, Edinburgh, UK. - http://www.gloranthadigest.com/scotscon/

For a listing of other british cons that I found on the web see: - http://www.philm.demon.co.uk/RPGs/conventions.htm

As you see with the type of cons I am going to I will be trying to promote Heroquest to non-Gloranthans out there as well as meeting the Gloranthan Tribal community.

Cheers
Darran.

'A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an Emergency on my part'