RE: Re: Heortlings sleighs?

From: bernuetz.oliver_at_...
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 16:03:16 -0500

David Dunham

>Since merchants probably don't travel in deep winter, nor do farmers
>haul things, there might not be as much call for sleighs. Also, you
>probably live closer to your neighbor, and don't necessarily have the
>right kind of animal to pull a sleigh in winter.

I would be surprised if they didn't use sledges though for moving heavy loads. Historically they've been in used in all sorts of terrains since you didn't have to make wheels to use them. (Easier to load too since they're lower to the ground). How else do they move all those big rocks to clear fields? They don't really lend themselves to being dragged like logs. Oxen are the classic draft beast for a sledge.

http://www.nrzam.plus.com/Site%20Resources/bar_vill_life/1130B005.JPG

If anyone has ever pulled a sled with a kid in it along a sidewalk you know that it doesn't really matter whether there's snow or not on the surface you just have to exert more effort to pull and since the oxen are doing all the work who cares.

I'd say they have them. Everything from the little ones the kids (and adults) slide down hills on to the ones hunters use when the travois don't work.

Oliver