Ride the chariot

From: Andrew Barton <AndrewBarton_at_...>
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2003 14:46:03 -0500

> Just FWIW--Roman chariots were mentioned earlier in the thread; Romans,
in
> fact, outgrew chariots just the way David describes.

It's news to me that the Romans ever used them in warfare. Anyone know of a reference?

> (As I understand it, one big factor was breeding a horse that was strong
enough to
> carry a rider in battle--a pair of smaller, weaker ponies could draw a
chariot.)

That's the theory I've always heard. You do occasionally find chariots used in the wars between Alexander's Successors, but it always seems to be described as a gimmick that usually fails.

> Even in the Iliad, there's a sense that Homer knew what a chariot *was*,
but
> didn't really know what it was *for*--the heroes ride the chariot out to
the
> battlefield, park it, get out, and fight on foot.

That was one style of chariot warfare in historical times - Caesar described the Britons as using them in much that style, with selected warriors using the chariot for mobility on the battlefield but doing their actual fighting on foot.

Andrew