Re: Re: Ride the chariot

From: Andrew Solovay <asolovay_at_...>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 10:44:16 -0800

morganconrad_at_... wrote:
> Manned chariots were 99% militarily obsolete as soon as mankind bred
> horses big enough to ride on. Other than prestige / C3 issues, which
> caused some generals to use them, (as noted in the Chinese example on
> this thread) chariotry converted rapidly to cavalry.
>
> Barring social/religious issues, Gloranthans chariots should not
> exist.

What about areas which, for mythic reasons, lack horses which can carry riders? (...or have such horses, but are mythically unable to ride them?)

Although I wonder if this is digest fodder by now...

(BTW: Is there any tradition of a "sun chariot" in Glorantha? I wonder if that tradition didn't play a part in keeping the chariot as a part of Roman culture, even though they don't seem to have ever used them seriously--that is, while the Romans never used chariots, they all knew that Apollo did, so they were all aware of the chariot as a concept. Does Yelm walk across the sky, or does he ride horseback, or does he drive a chariot? Any word on this? I assume Elmal rides horseback...)

--AMS