Re: Re: Ride the chariot

From: Andrew Solovay <asolovay_at_...>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 13:37:12 -0800

[...is this digest-fodder?]

Peter Metcalfe wrote:
> Andrew Solovay writes:
>
>> (BTW: Is there any tradition of a "sun chariot" in Glorantha?
>
> Yes, Dara Happa. There used to be a several pages about chariots
> in Dara Happa but it's been replaced by a concise guide and another
> page about Khorzanelm which I haven't seen before.

Veddy interesting! If so, wouldn't it have to be a post-Darkness development? In the stagnant^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H Golden Age, as Yelmites understand it, the Sun was motionless at the zenith--a chariot would hardly be appropriate for that. So did Yelm get a chariot when he returned from Hell at the beginning of Time?

By contrast, there are other known sun-worshippers who regard the sun as being essentially mobile--e.g. the Pentans who regard him (IIRC) as a horse-type spirit, and the Elmali who regard him as a loyal warrior out patrolling the borders. People who regard the Sun as essentially mobile might envision a chariot, but I'm surprised that classic Yelm-worshippers, who regard the Sun as stationery (at least initially), have that metaphor.

...but there's a *lot* about Glorantha I don't understand...