Re: Are Gloranthans Pragmatic?

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 16:02:22 -0800

> My impression is that Gloranthans are pragmatic, especially in
> military matters. Orlanthi use bows, Yelmi use swords, where it
> makes sense. e.g. Martin thinks that Carmanians are very pragmatic -
> since Pelendan infantry are useful, they use them eagerly. Not at
> all the "haughty dumb knights" stereotyped by the French during parts
> of the Middle Ages. (I briefly argued the contrary)

I think no more so and no less so than people in the real world. We know that there is at least one unit of chariots in the DH army, frex, which are dictated by magico-religious concerns. There are also (IMO) still some circular phalanxes dating from 'way back when (I *just* packed all my Glorantha stuff down to the new house, so I can't remember the Emperor. Khordovanus?). Most armies *are* pragmatic and will adopt better weapons/formations/armor as they encounter them. Some are not, and do not. Look at the US Army of 1917 or 1941 for examples of not adapting or adopting.

RR

RR