Re: Are Gloranthans Pragmatic?

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 17:01:04 -0800

> Would it not be accurate to say, "In Glorantha, it is
> pragmatic to obey magico-religious dictates"?

Yes, but :-). There are valid ways and means to change the M-R framework of society (ie, major mojo Heroquests along the scale of the Seven Moms or hatching the Cosmic Egg to produce a new god, or smaller ones that affect only one regiment/guild/clan/family).

Besides, chariots have a huge coolness factor :-).

Anyway, getting back to pragmitism, I think that Glorantha is neither severely pragmatic or un. It ranges along the entire spectrum, just as we do. After all, is it pragmatic to change from a well known and long-approved system of measurement based on easy to guesstimate body and time standards to some new-fangled system based around a single number? Is it pragmatic, 200 years later, to remain shackled to a defunct system of measurement when the rest of the world has adopted a standard based on a easy-to-remember numerical formula?

RR