Re: Fledgling scenario idea

From: Sarah Newton <sarah.newton_at_...>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 08:51:43 -0000

Hi guys,

I too liked Bryan's "Resurgence of Chaos" quest / scenario outline, right up to the Nysalor bit, for the same reasons as Graham - Nysalor _does_ seem a bit too subtle for those tactics.

However, remember that _Gbaji_ wasn't that subtle, especially towards the end of Arkat's quest against him. Also, that Gbaji had time enough (75 years was it?) to spawn all kinds of nastiness of his own, which may or may not have lingered in Forgotten Places.

One of my longest campaigns ran around a Chaos Monstrosity called "Umalu Gbajison, the Whip of Chaos", when I was very keen on the "keeping the equilibrium of reality" side of Glorantha. In the same way Arkat was "Humaktsson", Umalu was "Gbajison", long imprisoned in pits beneath good ole Snakepipe Hollow as a result of the Gbaji Wars. The PCs unwittingly removed the Really Cool Magical Weapon which had been keeping him prisoner, and thereafter things went from bad to worse in DP, with the end result they had to embark upon an Arkat-like HeroQuest to get rid of Umalu _and_ lose the Really Cool Magical Weapon by "Putting It Back Where It Belonged" to "plug the gap", so to speak, they had caused.

The campaign scenarios lasted ages in play time, but touched upon what I think are the two key issues (and risks!) of HQs in Glorantha: i.) The past can be undone by HeroQuesting; the current reality can unravel.
ii.) The equilibrium is always bigger than you think it is; butterflies flapping wings in China, etc, but on a mythical scale. Interfering can _always_ have unforeseen consequences.

The nice thing was that the more power the PCs thought they had, the less freedom of action they seemed to have if they wanted to preserve the status quo.

Another Nice Thing too was using a sub-Major Deity creature still gave plenty of room for Really Bad Stuff - Umalu was 'son' of Gbaji, which meant he could be really nasty without jeopardising The Past, The Cosmos, and the World As We Know It (that comes later... <grin>)

Sounds like it's gonna be a good scenario tho!

Thanks,

Regards,

Sarah