Re: Artistic Gods

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2003 23:36:35 -0800

> I think in most "barbaric" cultures, the line between "artist" and
> "craftsman" is pretty vague. Presumably, any devotee of a "craft" cult
> (smith, weaver, etc.) uses his skill to make the sword or basket or pot or
> house as beautiful as possible--but I don't think the culture would be
rich
> enough to support someone who makes paintings just because they look
pretty.

Right. "Artists" (as opposed to "Craftsmen with artistic talents") are non-productive* members of society, and will only be found where there are surpluses of resources to support them.

*Not knocking artists per se, but a sculptor or painter doesn't aid community survival under normal circumstances.

> I wonder, though--is there a particular cult that makes all those holy
> icons, or is each cult supposed to produce icons of its own god? If it's
the
> latter, you might find artistic ability popping up in the strangest
> places--e.g. a Uroxi who uses his "Worship of Urox" skill to improvise a
> "make icon of Urox" skill?

Usually make your own. I don't see Urox having much in the way of "Icons" - a skull onna stick is good enough! But a Humakti with a carefully-crafted sword, a beuatifully-woven Orventili peace rug, or an Orstani's carved doorposts are probably made either by the owner, or a member of his cult who has a talent for it. On the other hand, if you want a metal object, go to the Gustbran Devotee, a wooden object go to Orstan, woven things - various subcults of Ernalda, etc.

Roderick