RE: Re: Digest Number 1157

From: Peter Larsen <peterl_at_...>
Date: Sat, 8 Feb 2003 09:44:11 -0600

At 5:19 PM -0500 2/7/03, bernuetz.oliver_at_... wrote:
>I don't think most Gloranthan's would look twice at Hutterites or Amish.
>All good conservative folk tied to the land and livin' communally, just like
>most Gloranthans. ('cepting them stinkin' Lunars of course [hawk] ptooey]).

        I don't know. The Amish and fellow travellers have gotten into trouble for refusing to perform military service, take oaths of allegiance, and other civic duties. I doubt most Gloranthan cultures would cotton to that sort of behavior, since refusal to participate in civic duties weakens the community spirits.

        Depending on where you place them, there could be other conflicts. If you put them in the West, you could focus on the Anabaptist angle -- perhaps they do not accept dividing children by caste, believing that is something that should be saved for adulthood. Or they could reject the caste system entirely, feeling everyone is equal. Pacifists are hated everywhere (they won't support the army, and they're safe to attack). Putting the in the Lunar Empire might be kinder, but the refusal to support the army plus an attitude of isolationism would get them into hot water with the government and missionaries. Some of the White Moon communities probably feel like Amish etc communities....

Peter Larsen