Pacifist Cults (was RE: Re: Digest Number 1157)

From: Andrew Dawson <asmpd_at_...>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 23:32:34 -0500

In the game I'm running, the Barntar cult of the heroes' clan is a politically powerful pacificist force. As followers of the murdered god (by Vadrus), they oppose the violence of raiding and interclan fighting, even if the neighboring clan may be fraternizing with Lunars, raising maize, etc. They'll fight in defense of the clan/stead, but argue against initiating violence (see also the cult's disadvantage in Storm Tribe). The stubborn pacifism of Hed from the McKilip Riddlemaster trilogy is a good source for this cult's attitude. Similar in some ways to Near East corn gods, they are mythically susceptible to the Maran/Earth sacrifice cults (the whole imprisoned by Maran underground thing) and probably to Hon-Eel too. This particular aspect of Barntar may or may not be widespread in my Dragon Pass. (Minlister is another good candidate for sacrificial victim myths in my game, but I haven't explored that much.)

Thanks,
Andy

PS I hope it's not a problem that I changed the subject line; DN 1157 doesn't mean much to me.