Re: Re: Of Garhounds and Punning Myths

From: Bo Rosén <brosen_at_...>
Date: 13 Feb 2003 16:53:41 +0100

tor 2003-02-13 klockan 16.10 skrev Jane Williams:

> a ceremony when they arrive in Prax? They make friends
> with the local water spirit! So the (present) Garhound

Lol, I didn't think of that, the mist was just fluff.

> is in part a water spirit: the son of the local river.

This is getting weirder by the minute .-) Now, you explain to me please, why a water spirit would appear as a dog of all things.

> (I take it Garhound does *have* a river: or at least,
> some sort of water source?)

Yup, the Little Rock.

> What they neglected to check was the identity of the
> father: and there's your Brother Dog link. And a
> shaman of Brother Dog can command his son...

Brother Dog and a river nymph? Hmmm.

He has this special whistle made from reed, that only a member of the Garhound family can hear.

> I bet! Now explain why, in that case, Garhound wasn't
> over-run by nomads within a season or so of being

Because the nomads had agreed to be on their best when New Pavis was founded (and was on the City Ring), well they obviously failed but when they were booted out of New Pavis the Garhounds were too entrenched and too strong to raid.

> founded. Did this little old man then greet them as
> friends, allies, and fellow dog-worshippers? And teach
> them how to train their garhounds? Taking the son and
> heir away with him to teach him Mystical Secrets?

We're talking of different times here I think, you're talking the 1550s and I've loped ahead to the 1620s. The little old man has never been seen before (in the 1620s), so his friendship with the Garhound was a bit of a shock to poor Davis Garhound. But you are right, Declan must have learned about the dog and how to control it.

Maybe it had lost it's original master and quickly adopted Declan when he took care of the cur?

--
Bo Ros�n <brosen_at_...>