Re: Hsunchen & HeroQuest

From: bethexton <bethexton_at_...> <bethexton_at_...>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 18:59:20 -0000

Making the completely unfounded subconscious assumption that Kralori is something like modern Chinese, I treat "Hs" as being roughly somewhere between "sh" and `s", but with just a shade more hiss to it.....it is hard to describe, but I hear it regularly since the guy in the next cubicle has the last name "Hsin." Second, each syllable is probably a separate word, and would be given equal emphasis, with just a touch of a pause between them, maybe more of a stutter than a pause. And they'd be intonated in some unique way, and getting the tones wrong would change what it meant.

On the other hand, I think the word was probably spread by the god learners, who no doubt made no efforts maintain anything close to the original pronunciation, but I'll refrain from speculating on how god learners spoke, lest is seem like I'm making fun of New Englanders. Anyway, they are all dead, so the only people who use the term now are probably the ones who read about it in documents written in other languages and scripts derived third hand from god learner teachings. These scholars probably don't talk about it so much, so their pronunciations are most likely just as random as ours are.

Therefore, pronounce it however it amuses you or your character :)

Oh, and I think Heroquest is still due to be formally released at Gloranthacon in Toronto on March 8th, although I'm not sure if that means it will be available for sale then or if they'll just have proofs to show off or something.

--Bryan