Re: But what does it look like?

From: Andrew Solovay <asolovay_at_...>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 18:14:12 -0800

Mikko Rintasaari wrote:

> Adamant: Frankly I have no idea. It seems such a dwarfish thing it
> should propably be a metal. It's refined truestone though, so I
> suppose that would make it a gemstone of some sort.

In our world, mages can make metals by refining stones (special stones, called "ores"). So there's no reason why dwarves couldn't do the same. Adamant could be a metal and still be made by refining truestone.

On the other hand, my online dictionary gives this etymology for the word "adamant": "Middle English, from Middle French, from Latin adamant-, adamas hardest metal, diamond, from Greek."
http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=adamant

"hardest metal, diamond". Okay, that leaves the options nicely open.

I'll also note, FWIW, that the English word "diamond" derives from the same root, the Latin "adamant".