RE: Re: Griffins of Glorantha?

From: David P. Summers <dsummers_at_...>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 15:14:08 -0800

At 10:11 AM -0500 2/19/03, bernuetz.oliver_at_... wrote:
>Jeff suggests :
>
>>Yep. Gryphon parts and services are just an aspect of the Dara Happan
>>and Balazaring economy. Remind me to tell you about milking a
>>gryhon...
>
>Hmm, I find this unlikely. Why would fellow sun worshippers kill and
>dismember gryphons? Doesn't seem very collegial. Not to mention that
>griffins (I like the first spelling better) aren't that common. Okay, it
>could happen, it is a cruel world after all but I still think it unlikely.
>(Lunars and the ilk, sure they'd do, trolls, in a sec, but Balazarings and
>Dara Happans? I'm not buying it.)

Early man would ask permission to take game from the spirit that represented the game (such as a deer). It was felt that the deer would be willing to make a gift of itself to sustain man and that there was a "collegial" relationship. I'm not a Glorantha expert, but killing griffons doesn't preclude a good relationships (though presmuably how and when it is done would be highly prescribed).

--
David P. Summers, SETI Institute
Mail Stop 239-4

650-604-6206