Subject: Initiation & the Other Side

From: Thom Baguley <t.s.baguley_at_...>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2000 17:58:35 +0100

> From: "Tim Ellis" <tim_at_...>
>Subject: Initiation & the Other Side
>
>I like the view that Initiation takes place on the other side but (at
>least normally) in a reasonably controlled environment - See
>the "Growing Pains" scenario in Trade Talk 4 (I think it was 4...)
>
>There should be a chance that things will go wrong (if only to
>provide useful material for games, and the participants may find it
>appears much more dangerous, but if any group has an initiation quest
>where the majority of participants fail it is effectively dying out
>(at least in the Orlanthi type sense where *all* adults are initiated
>into the cults)

Agreed. I think the quests will tend to have one critical point, which they need to pass marginally. Given they get a zillion bonuses (Holy Day, extraordinary support, ritual preparation), they should pass.

I do, however, think there are variations. An applicant with a great destiny (Harmast, Arkat) might face an unusually tough foe. Also, adults undergoing initiation might well face tougher challenges.

Thom