Re: News from Gloranthacon

From: BEThexton <bethexton_at_...>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 15:47:27 -0000

Troll ball in the snow is good. Finding white troll kin parts in the snow is not so easy. Neither is convincing gamers to actually go outside and walk a hundred yards to play troll ball in the snow.

Mark Galeotti writes a pretty cool LARP. If you are playing in a LARP from noon until 5pm, however, it would be wise to arrange your personal schedule to make time for an early lunch.

Martin Laurie's answer's to questions about "which part of the empire do you think X about?" suggest a disturbingly expansionist view of lunar hegemony. Giving this guy armies would be very dangerous ;-)

Issaries is now having its layout performed by a paid, professional, layout person. Quoth Greg ( roughly): "I've had games come out late for twenty-five years and I'm sick and tired of it, and won't let it happen any more." (and there was much rejoicing!). Issaries has a number of products essentially done, and expect to support a very aggressive publishing schedule for the rest of the year.

You really can recognize Dave Dunham by his "portrait" in King of Dragon Pass.

ILH is quite awesome. It will make you even more eager for HQ, however, as it is full of references to the new magic. This should not cause any significant loss of enjoyment, however, as it is crammed full of good stuff of many kinds.

The Colony Hotel, where the convention was held, is being bought by the University of Toronto in May, and will be turned into a new student residence. Plus Jeff Kyer is moving to South Carolina sometime in the next year to be with his bride to be. Ergo, don't expect Gloranthacon to be back in the same spot in the future. I think there was much deep discussion on what to do with it next, but I missed that stuff.

The HQ teaser provided to GTA initiates who attended the conference is quite seductive. Looks like HQ is going to be worlds stronger than HW was, in terms of organization, examples, and clarity.

Mark Galeotti writes some pretty nifty songs, but you have to be a fan of Queen to know most of the tunes.

Listening to people like Greg, Mark Galeotti, and Martin Laurie talk, you get good feeling about Glorantha's future.

Overall, even for a first-time Glorantha convention of any kind attendee, who wasn't able to devote as much of his time to events as some did, the convention was still very enjoyable and educational.

--Bryan