RE: newbie to Hero Wars

From: bernuetz.oliver_at_...
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 12:09:28 -0500

Viktor said:
>* Are there Hero Wars "translations" about for Apple Lane,

> SnakePipe Hollow, Borderlands, Griffin Mountain, and other RQ2
> campaign/adventure stuff?

There's some at:

http://www.glorantha.com/hw/scenarios.html

I've done a HW keywords for Balazar but I'm not happy with the version that's on the Glorantha web site (and my site) and am working on a newer version.

http://www.geocities.com/bernuetz/regions/balazar/hwkw.html

> Are there any guidelines about for how best to approach the
> translation issue? Given the way the two systems work, I can
> see that a direct, predictable mechanic of translation from
> RQ2/3 to HW is probably not possible, but has anyone settled on
> some good, general rules of thumb that have been publicized?

I'm in the process of doing the same thing and this is what I've settled on for player characters.

  1. Create a new character using the templates that would have applied to the exisiting character. This provides a HW base that makes the character consistent.
  2. Then up the existing skills to reflect experience. I've been using 10% = +1 skill. Weapon skills tend to be real high this way since you just add the lot to close or missile combat totals so you might want to cut them a bit. (The characters were around 110% in their best weapon and most of them now have 10W2 in close combat. This seems reasonable to me).
  3. Add any special abilities/skills you're characters have picked up, breathe underwater, stand alone feats, etc. This stuff works much better in HW than it ever did in RQ. Don't forget all the skills they may have that weren't part of their templates.
  4. This the part I may regret. Then you should probably add some skills to the characters since skill progression is easier in HW. You don't have to. I calculated that the oldest characters in my RQ campaign have been around for around 36 sessions so I'm thinking about giving them each 100-150 HPs to spend on skill improvements (but no weapon skills, they're high enough).

I wouldn't hesitate to do much the same with existing NPCs (other than step 4 that is).

Oliver