A Good End in Badside - Part XLIV

From: Oliver D. Bernuetz <bernuetz.oliver_at_...>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 19:56:41 -0000

A closer look at the troll Chomper had addressed made me feel a bit more relaxed, not that you should ever be that relaxed around a Death Lord. Probably only their zombies and skeletons could ever feel that relaxed around them. The other troll was wearing sunglasses held a big floppy hat in one hand and had a rolled up sun parasol in the other hand. Didn't take much of an effort to guess which cult he belonged to.

The Argan Argar trader addressed me in quite decent New Pelorian, "My name is Glint Coincounter. My services as a negotiator have been hired by the local Zorak Zoran temple. The temple representative is Kreeg Skullhollower." He nodded towards the Death Lord who didn't respond in any way. I forbore from offering to shake hands with him but did nod in his direction. "Is my intercession in this manner acceptable to you." I shrugged and nodded agreement. "Shall we get down to business then?" "Certainly", I said. The trader translated each statement into the trollish language for the benefit of the Death Lord.

"Now my understanding is that you are wishing to hire the services of
the Zorak Zoran temple to safeguard the life of a human. Is this correct?" "Yes," I agreed. "Now what is the nature of the threat to the human." "He's being pursued by ogres and cacodaemons", I replied. At the translation of this the Death Lord smiled. Goddess guard that I should ever see a smiling Death Lord ever again. Even scarier than the cacodaemon's had been. I barely suppressed a shudder.

"And the duration of the protection is to be...?" "Um, that depends
on how much protection I cna buy with a house full of bolgs I suppose." Again the Death Lord smiled at the translation and spoke for the first time. I don't understand a word of the trollish tongue but he sounded like the Death incarnate he was. He went on for some time and laughed. And I thought his smile was bad. I failed to suppress my shudder this time. The trader turned to me and translated the following:

The Lord says that for the pleasure of thwarting chaos the temple will keep this puny human of yours safe for as long as he can stand to be in the temple. He had better be a brave man though as most puny humans cannot survive there for long.

I shuddered inside on Petro's behalf. Unfortunately I have my doubts that any of the human agencies in Pavis could safeguard him. Besides which I could finally get rid of those damn bolgs. I nodded agreement and had begun to describe where the bolgs were when the Death Lord spoke again so I stopped. The translation explained a lot.

We know where these bolgs are. How could we not? They are sacred Zorani bolgs with the god's mark on them.

He slapped a bolg into my unwilling hand, almost knocked me off my feet and I saw that the bolg was marked with one of the same runes that the Death Lord had on his armour. How in the Goddess' name had I ever missed that before. Must have been my disgust at being stuck with the damn things in the first place. The translation continued.

Did you really think that six trollkin could safely protect such a fortune in sacred metal without our agreement and protection? The humans we gave the bolgs to were the rightful owners and then they trade them to you. The trollkin were always working for us and merely served as watchmen for us.

"Thanks", I said and bowed. He actually nodded his head, will
wonders never cease? "So we have a deal?" I asked. The trader spoke with the Death Lord again and then nodded. "All the bolgs minus my fee.." I interrupted and said, "And Chomper's one in nine." The trader translated and the Death Lord spoke again. The trader said, "The Lord says that Chomper will get what's coming to him." Geez, I hope that's not as ominous a statement as it sounds. I stole a look at Chomper who looked content enough and decided that it was his problem. I nodded and held out my hand. The trader interrupted by saying, "Are you sure that you don't want to haggle?" He had a almost begging look on his face. I shook my head no and said, "I'm just glad the sacred metal is getting back to the Zorak Zoranis." Lying bastard, what I really would have liked to say was that I'd have preferred it was melted down and then used to seal their temple shut.

The trader sighed and translated. The Death Lord held his hand out awkwardly and I shook it. Then he seemed to remember something and spoke to the trader. The trader looked at me and said, "This human isn't from an enemy cult is he?" Oops. I quickly lied and said no. That's going to be a tough one to break to Petro. Maybe I can get him to switch to Urox...

To be continued.

Oliver