Re: Playability of Glorantha

From: Julian Lord <jlord_at_...>
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2003 20:53:48 +0100

Jeff��:

> Unfortunately, there is a point where too much detail becomes a
> hinderance and one can't figure out what the heck to do with all of
> the details.

Well sure, and that's exactly why I stopped playing D&D ... ;-)

Jeff, I sort of agree with you, but my own impression is that TPB-format HW books are (generally speaking) cursed with a poor format that makes them unclear and difficult to use. The tiny tiny pages makes the list of the Orlanth subcults, for instance, appear interminably long, and even worse : hard to use.

If they had been properly presented, I think that all of those subcults would have seemed far more relevant.

As it is, well excuse me while I flip, flip, flip through the pages til I find what I'm looking for ...

> Personally, I would find a compeate list of all the
> variations of the Imperial regiments a bit daunting and certainly
> not very useful for someone trying to play a game.

That's pretty unfair : presumably such a list would only appear in a publication dedicated to detailing the Lunar Army, and therefore targeted at a more wargaming crowd ?

Anyway, I'm personally very happy when I see Gloranthan publications catering to varied tastes, rather than concentrating on the One True Narrativism.

The biggest flaw of HW (as opposed to HQ) is that it made no concessions to the simulationists in the audience, despite the fact that they were in the majority !!

> Playing a game - its something that seems to get lost from time to
> time.

Unfortunately so.

> the level of detail and the 'expected' knowlege has
> been a continual comment. Even if they are not SUPPOSED to use it,
> GMs amd players feel compelled to use it.

But I think that this is an unavoidable feature of Glorantha.

> There is far too much "tell" and not enough "show" in the current
> books.

Which current books ? BA and OiD ? Puh-lease ... ILH ? It's a core sourcebook, it *has* to be more "tell" than "show".

> I don't want a list of gods I'll never use.

I do. Who knows, maybe one of my players will surprise me with his cool Durev the Householder character concept.

One of the most interesting characters in my old RQ campaign was a fisherman.

If I had a large group of committed, regular players, I think I'd definitely encourage them to use exactly those gods that you would never use, and I am *very* happy that Steve and others prevailed, so that they weren't excised from the book.

Sartar is definitely a far richer and more interesting place to game in because of them.

I just wish we had a stab at similar for the Silver Shadow Satrapy ...

Julian Lord