Glorantha D20?

From: Agent Groove <coridan_at_...>
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2003 21:47:14 -0500

> Unfortunately, while the status quo seems to be very comfortable for
> many people here, it doesn't really expand the tribe. It doesn't
> increase the amount of orders II flowing into II. Maybe with
> HeroQuest this will happen but Mark makes some very important points -
> hopefully people will keep them to mind.

I, for one, am not comfortable.

> I suspect that this is one reason why the SJG deal happened. It lets
> II tap into the rather extensive MiB (Men In Black) demo program. For
> that, adventures and 'show don't tell' are required.
>
> I want to see Glorantha move out of the ghetto its in and become a
> more mainstream game, accepted and respected by more than the old
> hands in the gaming industry.

Well, at the cost of sounding political here, there is the risk of some members of the community becoming offended at changes that may take in Glorantha if it is indeed taken to a large audience. It's nice to be big fish in a small pond. How large was the attendance at Gloranthacon?

However, as much as I personally loved TR, ST, and the other Hero Wars, every time I've tried them with new players (which has been so far twice), even with the Orlanthi it's been very difficult to get players past the HW rules system. With all due regards to Robin Laws, the system is too vague. I think that one of the main problems with HW is how it's not a good 'second game' - a second game is the game one learned after learning how to play D&D3E or Vampire, which are what many people start with these days. Always I was asked - 'what do these AP's represent in the world?'

Is there avaiable any transcripts of the Glorantha D20 panel? I'd love to have been a fly on the wall there.

What was the gist of that panel, if anyone cares to share? I would be thrilled either with a re-release of RQ2, or a Glorantha D20. I'm story based in the way I run games, but my audiences demands clear, simulationist mechanics. As one of my players said, "I don't want to tell or hear a story, I want to play a game." I, for one, prefer story and game to be interwoven, but as much as I want to like it, current HW mechanics are too vague for me to wrap my head around.

I'll support and purchase II products, no matter what, but I think that a Glorantha D20 or Gurps is desperately needed, or a RQ2 reprint. Elsewise, Glorantha will go the way of Jorune and Tekumel - which is ironic, since Tekumel D20 is being done by Guardians of Order.

"A leader gets power from followers.
"Violence is always an option."
"A good man does all things well"
"Mistakes are made, and fixed."

Proverbs of Orlanth, King of the Storm Gods Chris Bell
coridan_at_...
argrath_at_...