RE: What attracted you to Glorantha?

From: bernuetz.oliver_at_...
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 15:25:44 -0500

(Geez, it was only 20 years ago, why can't I remember?:-)) I can't remember specifically-but probably because I was running Call of Cthulhu before that. Seemed a natural progression. A friend was playing in someone else's RQ campaign and he may have had good things to say about it as well. But what's kept me at it is that the world's so interesting. AND originally the fact that I liked RQ as a system (which I'm not so enamoured of any more but there you go).

What the people I play with like most about it is the world. It seemed so clear with such nice, easily described cultures and struggles. The magic was cool and the races were cool and the Prax setting was cool. It was fun to play in.

We are not and never have been culture explorers or storytellers. We get together to roleplay and no one gets too serious about it. We're task and goal driven so scenarios are good for us at least. We like rolling dice and killing things.

Can't say that I've been thrilled by HW, love the new cultural material (to a certain extent), disliked the system. I'm willing to give it a try again though. My players didn't care for the short lived HW campaign I was running (one complaint was that they weren't getting to roll enough dice) but they like the world and my old RQ3 campaign, which is still unresolved enough to give it another try.

These are people who are put off by abstract rules systems (although I do run the occasional no rules session at a local con that they do enjoy). I'm hoping that there's still room in Glorantha for people like us:-)

Oliver

PS As far as other systems go I don't care for GURPS much and I've never played a D20 system (we've run out of GMs as the years go by and I'm it now). I've tried to adapt Glorantha to TORG and MasterBook before that and I believe the background material is "easily" adaptable to other systems.

P.P.S. I don't think the system = the world though and I think plenty of people over the years have proved that. You can still keep the spirit of Glorantha without the gaming system necessarily being HQ or RQ3.