"the new gamer"

From: BEThexton <bethexton_at_...>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 20:31:19 -0000

There have been a lot of discussions on the list in the last few days including references to new gamers, people looking for their second game, etc.

I'd written a long discussion about demographic and social changes that would probably have effected the cross section of the population entering into role playing. Then I fortunaetly realized that there was a high probability that it was a pile of manure.

Then it finally dawned on me to ask: Any list denizens work in a gaming store, or know well someone who does? It would be good to get first hand, or even second hand, accounts of what the cross section of young gamers now is, and also if it has changed over the years.

--Bryan

PS. for what it is worth, I expect that both the north american "baby bust" that hollowed out the number of teenagers for much of the last couple of decades, and the rise of computer and collectible card games would have both narrowed and altered the cross section of people entering role playing.