Re: Background

From: Julian Lord <jlord_at_...>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 21:37:15 +0100

Nick Eden :

> >> But really, Orlanth is Dead? An epic scenario in which your heroes
> >> get to be someone else's NPCs? Even if I had players right now I
> >> wouldn't consider running that.
> >
> >I personally would never run the scenario like that.
> >
> >Can't you see that it's a brilliantly written piece that,
> >with minor effort, can be run exactly as you like ?!
>
> Since I've got to come up with the central heroquest which enables the
> heroes to release Orlanth and save the day, since I don't even know
> the myth involved, I consider that quite a lot of work.

Oh right, that's how you want to play it.

At the level of Glorantha that the scenario depicts, I'd say that the characters' efforts to turn up at the battle despite the odds, and the battle itself, ARE the HeroQuest.

My point was that from a gaming POV Kallyr and co are the NPCs.

They are so much narrative fluff, no matter what the scenario says, and it's definitely PC actions that should decide the course of the battle.

If you want them to HQ and save Voria, then sure that leaves you lumbered with a lot of work.

The myth in question is the LBQ.

I *really* like the fact that the magic goes away, but its return is out of player hands. That kind of scenario design really takes balls, and it's something I've hardly ever seen in the 20+ tears I've been RPGing.

> The buildup IS very good, but it's got to be about any players I might
> have, not Greg's.

Who's preventing you ?

Julian Lord