Re: Background, Adventures and so forth...

From: e-g_at_...
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 23:08:20 GMT

Viktor Haag <vhaag_at_...> writes:

>Speaking for myself, what I'm worried about is staging such a
>wedding in my game, and getting some incidental (but perhaps
>campaign-locally meaningful) detail "out of canon". Quite often,
>such things can just be handwaved away in the spirit of IMGU (In
>My Gloranthan Universe), but every now and then one of these
>details can have nasty repercussions that react badly with canon
>details later published (or concurrently, but not yet read).

Actually, I'd say that Glorantha is one of the better campaign backgrounds at avoiding this problem:

Games like Traveller have an objective and well-documented-in-game [pseudo-]scientific basis. Explaining away canon problems is difficult.

In Glorantha, reality is subjective, the past is mutable. The Sun is an Emperor in his chariot; and it's a torch carried by a man on horseback; it's a glowing sun-horse galloping across the sky; it's a big ball of energy... Or all of the above, depending on whom you ask (and they can all _prove_ that their version is correct). Prince Argrath the Liberator is either a Sartarite exile, a fat man from Prax, a woman called Kallyr, or maybe one of your player characters (or, again, all of the above).

In such a setting, the fact that your clan has a special marriage custom while another book says that your people in general do things differently is easy to get around! It's even codified: to Orlanthi, "all" means "85%".

Stephen