Growing the tribe

From: Bob Slaughter <rslau_at_...>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 22:06:20 -0500

There has been a lot of good discussion on the list over the past few days about getting more people into Glorantha (and getting Glorantha into more people.)

There's two main ways to do this:
1) Convert gamers of other RPGs/worlds over to Glorantha. 2) Bring in people who are not already gamers into gaming via Glorantha.

And several other RPG companies are in the same boat, and have decided that #2 is the only way, because the RPG clan in #1 is growing smaller every year.

The good news, as I see it, is that Glorantha is more, much more, than HeroQuest. It is a media franchise in the making.

Greg's ideas started out as a world first, and then was projected out through a board game, then an RPG. Gene Rodenberry had a vision, and then brought out
"Star Trek", which later branched into books, movies, comics, and a variety of
games. George Lucas also had a vision, which became "Star Wars", which then became books, comics, and a variety of games.

Glorantha is a viable enough environment for this. Already, we have several books out (KoS, Compleat Griselda) and others in the wings (A Promise of Thunder). These need to get into hands of people who *aren't* Glorantha-philes, but love good fantasy. And *I* want APoT *now*.

We need to share the wonder with others. I really, really wish I could have made it to Gloranthacon this year. But maybe 'next time' it might be better if it was a con-within-a-con. At Dragon*Con here in Atlanta, every year the Pernese people show up, and the Trekkies and the Klingons, and the folks from Mercedes Lackey's fantasy world whose name I've forgotten. Maybe there is some convention like this near a cluster of Glorantha fans, who could create a
"Glorantha Track" there. And some fantasy fans from other areas of interest
could stop in and learn more about this well-developed fantasy world.

Pity there isn't a Hal Foster wanna-be who's a Glorantha fan to do a graphic novel series.

And if I ever hit it big with a lottery ticket, GTA gets a nice check, and then its time to start pushing for the "Tales of the Hero Wars" TV series.

--
Bob Slaughter, rslau_at_...     http://www.mindspring.com/~rslau/
North Georgia Modurail: http://www.mindspring.com/~rslau/ngm/