RE: Re: Settlers of Glorantha

From: bernuetz.oliver_at_...
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 12:42:32 -0500

Simon said:

>The problem here is that simple, attractive games like these don't
>need to use an established license, and the companies behind them
>probably couldn't afford one anyway. My current favourite
>is "Carcassonne: Hunters and Gatherers". You can probably tell from
>the name that it's a sequel, but it's a franchise that's sprung
>full-grown with armour and shield from the forehead of the
>german family games industry, no external license partner required.

Why does there have to be a license fee at all? Is Issaries interested in producing board games? If someone could produce a good game that might attract people to the world of Glorantha without doing damage to the world why couldn't they work on a royalty basis instead. That way the only danger is if the game flops. And that might not even be a danger.

>In the end though, such efforts are unlikely to reach a new
>audience, but merely play to one section of the home crowd.

I don't know, the name Settlers of Dragon Pass might be evocative enough to attract people. As far as I know most of these games don't have a fantastic element which might add to its attractiveness.

Just some thoughts anyway.

Oliver