Re: Playing games in Glorantha

From: BEThexton <bethexton_at_...>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 20:20:22 -0000

Fair enough, just remember that for some of us that makes a fascinating play environment. I'm not in a game right now, but with recent developments in Glorantha, I can't imagine wanting to play anywhere else.

> What I want to see are supplements for Glorantha that I enjoy and
> want to play. I don't want unfinished works to run a campaign from.
> I want lower level stuff like any of the classic RQ boxed campaigns,
> or much of the stuff published during the RQ Renaissance.

I agree that lower level adventures can be a lot of fun. It is exciting when relatively normal things are threatening!

What I find
> hard to believe is that no one wants to write this stuff any more.
> I know that Greg doesn't want to, and I know that Issaries doesn't
> want to publish stuff like that, at least not with any priority, but
> what about the rest of us.

I'm not sure that is entirely true. My understanding (probably flawed) is that there is intentions to bring out at least some selfcontained  culture books, with some background and an adventure arc. If you think about it, isn't that pretty much what Griffon Mountain was?

> There is nothing to stop any of us from writing a campaign or
scenario
> that has the same level of detail or material focus of a Big
Rubble. ...snip...Putting a more specific focus on many of the details not currently
> included in Hero Wars stuff is not out of bounds or undoable. It's
not
> like you can't writeup a caravan with its trade routes and trade
goods.
> Its not as if you can't map out a building or a town, or even a
dungeon
> (GASP). If detailing magic items is what you like, it's not like any
> magic item in Plunder couldn't be written up for HW/HQ.

You could write up those details, although clearly the intent of some of the rules is to keep you from needing those sorts of details. You don't need to know that a bronze lamps sell for twice as much in Pavis as they do in AldaChur, only that you are a merchant with a certain wealth and certain talents, so when you take the gamble to commit much of your wealth to a caravan you can expect a certain level of reward. Similarly, much of the appeal of magic items were always that they gave the character a power level boost beyond what they'd learned, or possibly could obtain, through normal means. HW kind of nips that in the bud, stating that no matter the abilities of an item, your ability to use it starts at a low level. Overall, the rules have a clear thrust to save you from/stop you from (depending on point of view) this sort of detail. To write it back in would certainly require some degree of alternate rules I think.

> As for how you describe current Gloranthan things to newbies, less
is
> probably more. I see no reason to play humakti as deeply emotionally
> distrubed. I don't really want to play with "anyone can be argrath".
> I wouldn't even mention that. Let them believe there is only one,
and
> he's some bad dude from the wastes, or whatever.

OK, so when it comes to *newbies* (as opposed to old RQ players), I don't see this as complex issue. "Everyone worships Orlanth and Ernalda, except for a minority that worships some other god. If you want to be a warrior, besides the warrior cults of Orlanth the most popular minor gods are Elmal the loyal defender, Urox the berserker and chaos fighter, and Humakt the god of death. You like the sound of Humakt? OK, so his followers are stern and grim worshippers, who worship DEATH, and are ready for death at any time--you're cool with that? Great."

As for Argrath, why would a new hero even know the name? "There are still some rebels. Rumors abound of prophecies of a great leader who will kick out the invaders, but that doesn't mean the lunar tax collectors aren't still plundering your clan."

> In the end, I hope more people write material far more akin to
Griffin
> Mountain than Orlanth is dead. There's plenty of room for both. I
just know
> that Issaries will only publish stuff like OiD, so it's up to us to
do
> the other type.

Hey, people writing and publishing what they want to see is great. Just remember that the "us" you use doesn't mean everyone on the list. Some of "us" actually like much of what Issaries is doing or planning to do (OK, I don't think anyone would consider Barbarian Adventures a life affirming experience, but I think they've centred their vision a little better now.)

--Bryan