Re: Games in Glorantha & Attracting New Gamers

From: Ralzakark <dorastor_at_...>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 22:47:05 +0100

Hm,
I play in Glorantha since �96, with RQ3. My Campaign was in Dorastor, and (you may laugh) Lowlevel. The Atmossphere of this Land was dark 6 dense enough to keep my Players on the Tooth. And they found hidden Clues of a great Danger, cause by (Surprise) Ralzakark! Sadly, the Group ended before met him.
This Players weren�t Orlanthis like "the Guys from Today", cause the Background in "Dorastor" and "Glorantha: Crucible" was not so big exploited like in this Days (Thunder Rebels, Storm Tribe etc.). There was many Room to explore, even for a GM. Today it seems harder. There are many "Cultural & Mythological" Obstacles for new & interested Gamers. And this is true for new GM!! There was a Time I found myself daunted cause was so much Names & Material, i didn�t know how to present it in a "Play-Able" Way. Then I recognise "Thunder Rebels" & Co. as "Supermarkets". Take whant you like, and avoid the "boring Things".

But for totaly New Gamers, there should be less "Detailed Cultural" and more
"Fun, Exitment, ADVENTURE). I�m disappointed from the
"Movie-Style-Gaming"-Claim of the HW-Rules and the Supplement-Books without
"Movie-Appeal". Orlanth if Dead is an exeption. My best experinece to
Introduce knew people is the "Movie-Style" and less Information. Remember "Star Wars, Battlestar Galactica, Star Trek" etc. Yes, there lots of Fun who dicusses about the Color of Light Sabers, the Speed of Photon-Torpedos and so on.

This is the great Mistake in my Opinion. Game-Material for Newbies should Focus on great "ready & read"-Adventures with some Background. When the Game is great, the Players have fun and will be interested. Then they could delve deeper in the Background. But look on the Supplements & Fanzines: for a Newbie to confuse.
And were a the great Wonders of Glorantha? Maybe a Startup around the
"Juggernaut" rolling through the City of the Players
will attracting them more as the obligate 8 Bruus causing Disease in your Herds?
And GM could see how they can exploit the many great Wonders which make Glorantha so nice.

Excuse my English

   Karsten