Re: Fun OR Accuracy?

From: David A. Blizzard <DavidBlizzard_at_...>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 02:09:26 -0500

Everyone,

What I was attempting to convey is why I feel there is a resistance to Glorantha from some of the more recent players. I admit, I was focusing on the negatives and glossed over the positives. I'll also admit, much of my view of the "current" Glorantha comes from reading the Glorantha Digest & the Hero Wars group. That comes from being unable to find a group that's willing to play Hero Wars.

My general dissatisfaction comes from my general impression of the flavor of the world now. Originally, I liked it because it was different, but not as inaccessible as, for example, Empire of the Petal Throne. Empire of the Petal Throne seemed to be a great effort for a very detailed & different campaign world, but so different the effort required to play in the world & make it feel "real" was too high. Glorantha didn't have that level of differences. It seems that it is much close to that level now, than it used to.

Perhaps the problem is that RQ2 broke new group with almost every supplement or adventure released. Apple Lane was an excellent beginning adventure for new players & GMs. Griffin Mountain broke new ground in displaying a new campaign setting. It had many details, without burying you in detail. It had many sub adventures & plot hooks within its body. Borderlands was an excellent example of how to use a serious of small adventures to base a campaign around & build a larger campaign around them. Pavis & the Big Rubble detailed a city in a way that was relatively new. It, too, didn't bury you in detail & the detail was a different sort than Griffin Mountain.

Greg, I'm glad to hear that Apple Lane still exists in your campaign. I could have sworn it was from your posting that Apple Lane doesn't really fit in the current Glorantha. Yes, you added the caveat of "however, your campaign may vary." Still, it seems I either was mistaken or misread your intentions.

Personally, I agree to some degree that each campaign will vary. However, if it varies too much from the standard, that group won't be buying the new products, because they vary too much.

Part of my reason of writing the post was to point out what a hurdle there is to increase the number of people who are exposed to & enjoy Glorantha. Many in this position focus on trying to get new players to play & enjoy the type of game the current publications encourage. Unfortunately, for any significant increase, you need to move towards what people are interested in buying, not just convince them they are wrong about whatever is keeping them from buying the supplements (at the same time, you also don't want to water down the central elements that make Glorantha unique and attractive).

Yelmalio. Does anyone who hasn't been carefully following all the details for the past several years understand what happened to him? I remember when Greg first "revealed" Elmal. At one time, I thought I understood what the the situation was. Now I know, I still haven't gotten it straight. He was part of the Yelm pantheon, but doesn't seem to exist as part of that now. How can I explain to a new player what the situation is if I don't understand it? Yes, I can make up my own explanation (including keeping to the original situation). However, if I want to pick up the "Glorious Reascent of Yelm" to use as a book in my campaign, I then have to explain why he doesn't exist in the book. A son of Yelm who isn't recognized in a major work about Yelm. Who is Elmal? Who is worshipped in the Sun Dome Temples?

Personally, I'd like Glorantha to make a strong comeback. I think there are many hurdles right now to that happening. System is one. However, one is the feeling of a new player that there is too much "homework" to do to get the proper feel of the world. Many things added to the world, add to its "alien" feel, but at the same time reduce its attractiveness to the average gamer ("what can I do without the clan spirit knowing?")

David A. Blizzard