Re: Space Opera Wars

From: Julian Lord <jlord_at_...>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 09:44:03 +0100

Oliver :

> > This is funny, given recent threads, I thought this was going to
> > be a post comparing the production quality of HeroWars with the
> > early 80's game "Space Opera," which probably set the all time
> > low mark for incoherence and complete lackof editting.

Oh yay !

fellow Space Opera fans !! :-)

> Character generation was a hoot though,

Best goddam thing about the game !!

> one of my friends once
> rolled up an Admiral of the Fleet.

<green with envy>

> Talk about followers! (Of
> course I believe there was a good chance of getting killed during
> generation which was kind of a drag!)

80% of my own Space Opera characters died during generation, 15% were total dead losses. One character was actually playable !

(yay !)

Death during character generation really added to the mystique though. IIRC it was also possible with Traveller ...

> We never played it, we just rolled up characters for a laugh.

Ah haah : I played Space Opera, so there !!

The rules were a real laugh. I was amazed at my GM's magical ability to understand how they worked ...

Brutally "realistic" (that's 80s "realism" BTW).

I got into a bar brawl once, hit some asshole with a problem, rolled lots of dice, and my fist went completely through the guy's thorax (I was an exceptionally strong character from a planet with many Gs ... ;-)

Futuristic ranged weaponry ?

Why bother taking risks ? Kill all bad guys with one shot from a mile away ...

:-D

Oliver