Re: Year Zero

From: BEThexton <bethexton_at_...>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 18:30:48 -0000

Fascinating thoughts.

If nothing else, his example of a few words about a setting, then attaching likely issues to it looks like a good quick and dirty way to make setting material more compact and useful (I was struggling towards a concept like this in the discussions about ILH1 at Gloranthacon, but he shows it more concisely.

--Bryan

> Hey Ian,
>
> >Newcomers were put off by the amount of material they needed to
> >purchase or digest to start...but established users wanted
increased
> >detail applied on top of what had accumulated so far.
>
> >....the existing fans want you to move on. You cannot gain new
fans
> >without risking losing your existing demographic.
>
> I think you can satisfy both, though it will require dramatically
> reimagining the relationship Issaries has with users of the game
and
> conveying that reimagined relationship within the text of the
> published products.
>
> I remember M.A.R. Barker describing his interactions with the
Tekumel