No spell lists

From: Benedict Adamson <yahoo_at_...>
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2003 14:04:01 +0000

Trotsky replied to:

> This brings up a gripe I always had about the Hero Wars magic system. What
> the hell does Magic in HW dom anyway?

thus:

> I don't agree with that - you really don't need to know the myth to know
> what the magic does. You've got a Storm affinity - well, OK, if you can
> think of something that sounds like it could be called 'storm magic',
> I'll let you do it.

> Now, *old* gamers used to detailed and highly specific spell lists and
> descriptions might find an unassailable culture clash here

Coincidentally, Trotsky recently showed me a copy of the Buffy The Vampire Slayer RPG, which seems to be targeted at people new to RPGs. The magic system takes the same approach: there are no spell lists at all, ALL spells are made up by the player of a magician.

A bit more evidence that this is an 'old gamer' problem.