Re: Semi-continuous inhabitation

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2003 15:15:53 -0800

> OK, maybe I was overstating the closeness of the
> relationship. But it still wasn't some weird and alien

Okay, I'll back down from "Howling Wilderness" ;-).

> And we've been doing this kind of re-inhabitation for
> a long time: there's a lovely bit in the Anglo-Saxon
> Chronicles where an ambitious priest goes out to
> investigate the ruins of an old church, abandoned a
> few centuries earlier due to warfare (Vikings, not
> Dragons, but same difference), and finds documents
> there to prove that it and a large area around it all
> belonged to the Church, not the Crown. He did a quick
> re-build job, and called the result Peterborough....
> of course, things got re-allocated when the Normans
> arrived, but it was a smart move at the time.

While I'd quibble about finding papers (or other records), I'll support the spirits/daimones/wyters/essences/fairies/wee folk/sentient rocks remembering a link (faint though it is) to the new incomers - at least the rites the new folk use are enough like the ones the people-who-went-away that a relatively easy transition can be made. Some of the otherworld types will be weak and lacking parts of their memory, but with time (and worship) they'll remember more.

There is still the 180 years of "No Go Zone" aspect to DP to make the land a partial howling wilderness (at least from a human PoV - Dragonewts, beast valley, trolls, The Dwarf, etc would have a whole different experience!) Maps from Before will no longer be valid for many things - cities and roads will be wiped away, and I bet a few hills and rivers are gone from where they once were.

RR

RR