Re: Re: disappointed

From: e-g_at_...
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 01:35:10 GMT

Mikko Rintasaari <mikrin_at_...> writes:

>Kerofinela is a nice
>and poetic name, and I bet it will interest many people. Dragon Pass, on
>the other hand may be confused with other products.

Or *remind* people of the products they played with 20 years ago...

"Kerofinela" as a name has one huge problem: how in the world do you pronounce it?

Just imagine the casual gamers approaching the counter in their FLGS:

"Do you have that new supplement KERRO-fine-ayla, er, Kerro-FIN-ila, er, Keero-FINE-la, er, oh sod it, just give me the new Forgotten Realms book instead."

It's also, as others have pointed out already, totally meaningless to 100% of non-Glorantha fans and probably 85% of casual fans or former-RQ people.

To me at least, it also conjures up thoughts of inflammable petroleum products (kerosine) - not quite as embarrassing as calling your main continent Genertela, but still not wonderful.

"Atlas of Dragon Pass" would be my choice. If you must, you could put "A gazeteer of the lands of Kerofinela, birthplace of the Hero Wars" or somesuch at the bottom of the front page...

Stephen