Making the titles of products commercially appealing (WAS RE: Re: disappointed)

From: BEThexton <bethexton_at_...>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 19:38:46 -0000

I think the current book backs do a good job on the first point, a decent one on the second, and a weak job on the third.

For example, the back of the Hero Wars book reads:

Hero Wars
Role playing in Glorantha
Myth, fantasy, and legend collide in GLORANTHA

(then a box, reading)
The Hero Wars are nearly here. Across Glorantha heroes prepare for the greatest cataclysm that the world ahs ever seen. Hero Wars, Role playing in Glorantha brings the players into the action at any level of experience: from clan warrior to hero or even demigod. Take part in mythic quests on the hero plane, invoke the power of the gods, control spirits, or force the very laws of nature to obey your command.
This is the hero Wars. Hero Wars is role playing game where players create imaginary characters who will struggle with gods and demons in the fabulous world of Glorantha. A narrator provides the plot, animated the population of the world, and provides the challenges for heroes to overcome.
(in smaller print)
This book is a complete game including everything (except the dice) that a player needs to create a colorful magical character and join in the epic struggle. We suggest that game masters will greatly enhance their game with a copy of Narrator's Book."

First of all, that is probably a lot of ideas. If you want a few key points to stand out, it is best not to try and say too much.

Next, I think you want to make a strong pitch to the person who has just picked it up, and that means in the first couple of lines. Existing Gloranthans will read further, someone who has just picked it up for a glance will probably put it down if the first couple of lines don't make sense to them.

For Hero Quest, I'd like to see something like (but much better than!):

"The old world is over, and YOU decide what the new one will be like!

Be hero! Start from humble beginnings, and use magic, cunning, and powerful abilities to eventually strive with gods--or even become one. Hero Quest occurs in the storied and mythical world of GLORANTHA, as the hero wars change it forever. Hero Quest uses simple and flexible rules to simulate contests at any power level, and let's players run any kind of hero, wielding magic from one of four different systems, from any of the competing factions.

If you are new to Gloratha the hero wars are the perfect time to join, as massive changes make the world strange even to its inhabitants. If you already know Glorantha you will be blown away by the new detail, epic story lines, and opportunity to shape the new world.

This book contains everything (except dice) needed to run adventures in the hero wars."

The anecdotal responses to what originally attracted people on this list to Glorantha and/or Runequest seemed to continually highlight the well developed religion, the lack of alignments, and that everyone had magic. So it seems to make sense to try and get as much of that in as possible. In addition, as discussed here recently, a lot of people can be put off by the amount of history that Glorantha has, so tell them that they don't need to know it all. Finally, stress the creative possibilities offered by the Hero Wars, by pointing out that there is a new world to be built.

All just my opinion on this. I hope others have additional thoughts (even if they totally contradict mine).

--Bryan