Re: First session a success! (Now I have some questions)

From: BEThexton <bethexton_at_...>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 20:54:38 -0000

Anyway, ideas about what you could do next.

I had an idea a while ago that seemed to have some muted approval and was at least not shouted down, that one of the things not-adults might do (because they were dared, they want want to impress their peers, or other reasons) was what they'd euphemistically call "berry picking." In short, they dart across the boundaries into another clan's territory, and bring something back. The name comes from "Where are you boys going?" (boys reply in a very innocent voice) "Oh, just berry picking." (as soon as they are out of hearing one completes the sentence "On the Black Oak tula! and they all guffaw). They are likely to leave some mark that they were there--a rune carved into a tree, for example.

This could vary from grabbing a handful of acorns just across the line to gathering a cap full of berries a good ways inside the boundary, to the extreme of stealing small things of actual value (a lamb, a herdman's spear that he'd put down), . If the other clan's adults spot you they'll most likely just chase you away, unless there is a bitter feud between you. The other youth are more apt to attempt to beat you like a trickster.

So your would be Finnovanni could lead them berry picking, or they could get dared to go do it, or they could have to retaliate for the other clan's kids having done so succesfully.

Also, such tit-for-tat could start getting out of control, and the would be issaries could need to mediate before bloodshed starts.

I'm sure there are many other ideas, but it seems like the right level of activity for the age group.

--Bryan