Re: Re: Common magic for Heortlings?

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 14:39:51 -0800

> > Common magic for the Heortlings are talents and they come from
> > Flesh Man (who is sorta 'every-guy') There does not seem to be
> > a 'Common Religion' for the Heortlings but they seem to have a
> > much more religious take on life than many of the other
> > cultures.
>
> Which are good comments, but also don't give me a list to pick
> from. Nor a clear idea of what sort of items might be on that
> list.

Mostly Survival (Stay warm, Hide in cover, Heal Flesh), Anti magic (Attack Enemy Spirit, Gesture to ward off magic), and Movement (Climb over Hill and Dale, Jump Safely).

The lists of common magic abilities are only the *typical* ones for that culture - you can always allow a player to have wierd-ass stuff from common magic - except that Common Magic only ever acts as an augmenter, never a direct-use ability, so things like "Fly" are useless (unless you have another Fly ability...).

The Heortlings are big into Initiation/Devotion to a specific god of their pantheon, rather than the more common "only a few wacky Hero-type people initiate, Common Religion is good enough for us" attitudes of the rest of the world.

RR